Whether you are out on an overnight hunting trip, or just a short travel into the woods for rifle practice, carrying the best hunting rifle sling to support your rifle is important.
The sling should be of a good enough quality that it doesn’t slip off your shoulders easily. It should also fit your rifle and your body type effectively so it is not awkward to use or carry.
I would suggest trying a couple of different slings at a local retailer or gun shop to see which one suits you best. Practice crouching and standing up to aim as well, so you know if the sling will be helpful for balancing your rifle.
Once you figure out what you want in a rifle sling, you are now ready to take a look at the specific ones on the market.
How To Use Rifle Sling
What Should Look
The distance you are traveling carrying your weapon is an important consideration when purchasing a rifle sling.
The best hunting rifle sling will be as comfortable and lightweight as possible. This is especially important if you plan on carrying your hunting equipment for hours at a time.
Points of attachment
There are three different points of attachment on a rifle sling, one-point, two-point, and three-point. Some manufacturers also offer a convertible sling that can be adjusted to any of these three.
A survey of the top 50 shooters in the 2014 Precision Rifle Series (PRS) showed that the 3-point attachment was widely recommended as the best option.
If you use your sling to balance your rifle as well as carry it, the flexibility will be very important to you.
If the sling is too stiff or doesn’t bend in just the right way it can really throw your aim off. You want the flexibility to carry it in different ways as well if it starts to get uncomfortable.
Some of the best tactical rifle slings are made with inexpensive materials that still provide support and comfort. You can also choose a more expensive but much more attractive material like leather to make a statement.
Some slings will come in a rubber material that hugs the shoulder and is guaranteed not to fall off under any circumstances.
- Swivel Type – The type of swivel on the sling is important depending on how wide your strap is and how heavy your gun is.
1. 2 Point Rifle Sling by Zengi
This rifle sling is great for the budget-conscious consumer.
There are several good reasons why the Zengi would suit your needs for a rifle sling.
The Zengi comes with wide webbing along the sling that is a great feature because it provides a comfortable point of contact with your shoulder, especially if your rifle is heavy.
This is especially handy if you need to carry around a heavier gun for long distances because your shoulder won’t feel as much strain.
This sling comes with wide clips so they won’t break or bend if under a little more stress. You will appreciate this feature because it means that the clips won’t need to replaced as often if you use it in rugged conditions often.
It is made with flexible elastic material so it won’t be stiff when using your rifle in different positions, especially if you find you need to adjust your position quickly. This is especially handy when you need to aim quickly if you get a sudden shot.
The Zengi is one of the most reasonably priced 2-point slings on the market. This is a nice feature if you want a reliable sling at an affordable price.
- Wide webbing provides good support and comfort
- Swivels are made wider to support the strap for heavier guns
- Flexible elastic eliminates any stiffness when you need to aim
- Great price for the quality of the sling
- This sling has been tested to hold up to 250 pounds of pressure
- 100% lifetime guarantee means you will never need to replace this sling
- The plastic in the construction is not very high quality and feels cheap.
- The straps won’t handle sudden movements like sprinting
- Hooks and connectors are made of metal and have a tendency to bend with too much pressure
- Not as nice looking as some of the other slings on the market with similar features
2. Levy’s Leathers SN27 Leather Cobra Rifle Sling
The Leather Cobra is one of the nicest looking and comfortable rifle slings on the market.
There are several good reasons why this sling is a good fit for you.
This rifle sling is made with high-quality leather and attractive in-laid stitching. The quality of the construction exceeds the reasonable price you pay for it.
This is a great feature for those who want to look great when they are out hunting but don’t want to break the bank to do it.
Even though the Cobra is more expensive than other slings with similar features, you may find that the high-quality material and comfort outweigh the extra expense.
If you are using this sling in moderate conditions, then the nice look of the leather will last a long time.
The Cobra comes with an attractive and comfortable green suede backing. This not only enhances the already beautiful look of this sling but makes it extra comfortable to carry around for hours at a time.
- The quality of the leather makes this strap-on of the most attractive hunting slings on the market
- The price is very reasonable for the quality of materials and construction
- The sling is versatile and fits most size rifles
- Padding and strap width make it very comfortable to use
- Loop adjustments can extend the strap to 36”
- Not made for rugged use as that would ruin the clean leather look of the sling
- Drastic changes in temperature can damage the surface of the leather
- More expensive than other slings that can last in more extreme conditions
- Will require more maintenance to keep it looking new
3. Gun Sling Paracord 550 Adjustable w/ Swivels
The Paracord features several features to make your hunting experience more enjoyable and worry-free.
The following are some reasons why the Paracord may be your ideal rifle sling.
The Paracord is easily adjustable from 33″ to 44″ which is a great benefit to you if you choose to use it for different equipment of varying bulks and shapes or even other types of survival gear.
The adjustable straps on this sling mean that you can use it for shotguns, rifles, and crossbows.
The rolled nylon mesh along the strap means it can expand and contract easily so it doesn’t lose its shape. You will really enjoy this feature if you need to switch up your hunting equipment in the middle of a trip.
There are 8 color options for this unit including Black & Tan, Black & Olive and Black & Coyote.
You can choose the color that blends in with the rest of your equipment so your strap won’t stick out like a sore thumb. This helps keep you hidden while aiming and adjusting your position.
- Sling doesn’t loosen the more it is worn like some other slings
- Sturdy design makes it much more durable and long lasting
- Material and construction make it durable and able to stand up to extreme weather conditions
- High-quality construction will support different types of equipment
- Many color options mean you can match other equipment or camouflage
- The material on this sling is flexible and comfortable to use for casual use
- Great price for the options and durability you are getting
- Length restrictions make it unreliable for carrying larger rifles
- Clips that are included are too small for the swivels which makes it difficult to adjust
- The strap is not comfortable for long durations of wear
4. Ultimate Rifle Sling
The Ultimate Rifle Sling comes with a strong double strap made of a durable and comfortable rubber.
This sling really is the ‘ultimate’ in comfort and flexibility. The following are some reasons why this sling might be the best choice for your needs.
The Ultimate Rifle Sling has a dual strap system made of non-slip rubber that eliminates any worry of having your rifle slip off of your shoulder while you are walking or climbing.
You will really enjoy this feature if the terrain you are on is a bit rough and you don’t want to have to keep pushing your rifle onto your shoulders.
This sling can be used with any firearm and even a crossbow or muzzleloader. The design lets you carry your weapon of choice comfortably and securely.
This is a great feature for those hunters who want to switch up their equipment without having to get different slings for all of them. This can also be turned into a ¾ backpack when you split the strap.
This sling comes with swivels made of durable nylon that will hold up with any type of impact or variable conditions. This is especially useful if you are in an area where weather and terrain are unpredictable and extreme at times.
- The rubber strap eliminates slippage
- The design of this sling makes it really comfortable to wear
- Double strap design gives you extra support for larger equipment
- Versatile and can be used to support rifle as well as carry it
- Long-lasting rubber means you don’t need to keep replacing it
- This sling can be adjusted to be used as a strap with the barrel up or down and you can turn it into a backpack
- Screws loosen easily after being used
- You will need to check the swivels before every use to make sure they are on securely
- Swivels are not great quality and don’t fit all rifles
- Rubber tends to stick to clothing and can reduce movement if you need to adjust quickly
5. Blackpowder Products Original Series – The Claw Rifle Sling
The Blackpowder Claw uses a unique “soft touch” material that makes this sling very comfortable to use.
There are several reasons why this sling may be the right one for you.
The Claw Rifle Sling uses revolutionary new “soft touch” materials that make even the heaviest equipment comfortable to carry. The padding is made of a durable polymer that is molded directly onto the sling.
You will appreciate this feature because it gives the extra stretch you will need for sudden movements and shifts in position. It also adds to the overall comfort of the sling if you need to carry it for long periods of time.
The Blackpowder sling also comes with the patented “Hush Stalker II Sling Swivels” which are rustproof and very quiet to use, unlike some metal swivels that squeak and rattle.
The strength of these swivel means that they will carry twice the weight of conventional swivels. You will appreciate these swivels because they fit most types of guns and won’t dent or scratch your equipment.
This sling comes in 5 different colors that you will be able to match up with the rest of your equipment and camouflage.
This is a great feature because it means that you will blend in that much more with the rest of your surrounding. This is good for game hunting where you are not that far away from your target.
- Quiet swivels eliminate the risk of scaring game away
- The strength of the swivels means you can carry larger weapons comfortably
- Rustproofing on the swivels makes them last longer
- The soft material makes this sling easier on the shoulder
- Color choices allow you the option of matching your cameo to your strap
- Can be a little difficult to adjust
- Swivels are flimsy and attach unevenly to the rifle
- Strong grip of a strap can actually hinder your movement
The best rifle sling for hunting is by far the Ultimate Rifle Sling for durability, comfort, and versatility of design. While it might not be the best looking out of all the straps reviewed, it more than makes up for that in all of the features you will enjoy.
The double strap makes carrying around heavier equipment easy and comfortable. If your shoulder does end up getting fatigued, then you can adjust the sling to be used as a backpack to reduce strain.
You will always feel secure with the rubber grip of this sling because it completely eliminates any slippage that you might experience with other materials. I would highly recommend this sling to anyone who wants the comfort and security of a well-made and non-slip rifle sling.
Editor in The Dear Lab. Hunting, Camping, Fishing and Outdoor Expert.