Kayaking is a famous sports people go on the water either to fish, race or relax. The key to enjoying your kayak is choosing the right kayak seat.
As with any sport or hobby, comfort is crucial if you are not comfortable you will hardly enjoy yourself at all. In fact, you may find yourself staying away from this fun activity or at the very least shortening the amount of time you spend kayaking.
But with so many different kinds of seats, you may be wondering what the most comfortable kayaks are.
It is essential that you take your time and shop carefully.
7 Best Kayak Seat Reviews
To make things a bit easier for you we will now review some of the elevated kayak seats in the market. We chose them based on comfort, durability, style, design, and stability. We don’t just look at the pros we take into account the cons as well.
1. Ocean Kayak Comfort Tech Seat Back
If you want to feel like you are sitting on your couch while you are in your kayak, then this is the seat for you.
As the name suggests, it comes with extra padding for additional comfort and support. That is not all it has other amazing features:
Four-way adjustability makes this kayak seat suitable for almost all body types. Both big and small people can use it.
Since it is made out of UV resistant nylon pack cloth isn’t affected by the sun. In other words, you can use it for a long time even if you live in a hot climate. In case you are wondering, many kayak seats start to crack after sun exposure.
It is great for kayaking in the dark since it has reflective logos. So long as you expose them to the sun during the day, they will glow in the dark.
- It has reinforced stays for even more durability.
- It comes with solid brass clips that are easy to put on and off.
- Although the back support is great the butt support is not as good.
- Some people also complained that after they had been in the water several times the clips tended to become a bit stiff.
2. Ocean Kayak Comfort Plus Seat Back
This one also ranks up there with kayak seats around. It is designed for fit on top kayaks, and it comes with incredible features:
It comes with lots of padding and to make it even more comfortable the manufacturer added a built-in ventilation system. To provide additional support, it has a taller back seat. You can kayak for hours without discomfort.
- It is also made of UV resistant nylon pack material which makes it durable.
- It has 4-way adjustable mounting straps so people of different sizes can use it. These also add to the comfort.
- It has reinforced stays for additional back support.
- It is a sturdy kayak seat so you can expect it to last a long time.
- It has reflective logos leave it is the sun in the day, and you can safely go kayaking at night.
Many people are pleased with the Ocean Kayak Comfort Plus Seat Back, but there are a couple of things they don’t like:
- The first is that the straps start to iodize after a while.
- Some people also feel that the butt area can do with a bit more padding, although many say that they are more than comfortable.
3. iROCKER Inflatable Paddle Board Kayak Seat
This one is quite a looker, and although it was originally designed to be used with the iRocker brand of kayaks, it can now be fitted on any kayak really so long as it has D rings. Here is what you get:
It is very stable since it is 30 wide. Better yet, if you are big bodied, then this is the kayak seat for you since it can hold up to 350 pounds.
- It can take two riders and a dog quite comfortably.
- It is excellent for rough kayaking since the bottom is slip resistant even when wet.
- It is designed to be durable you will not need to buy a new seat for years to come.
- This is possibly the toughest seat in the market it is made out of a triple layer of military-grade PVC.
- A few tall people have complained that it isn’t very comfortable.
- This is the only con about the iROCKER Inflatable Paddle Board Kayak Seat.
4. Kerco Explorer Sit-on-top Kayak Seat Back Equipped with Back Pack
This one is liked for its comfort. Users can paddle for more than 50 miles without any discomfort at all. Here is what else they like:
Remember we talked about storage in the beginning? Users love the backpack on this kayak seat. They can take along sunscreen, gloves and other items.
- The seat is comfortable to adjust and comfortable to sit on.
- It is made of high quality, and the workmanship stands out.
Users like the fact that it is so well priced. There are similar makes in the market that don’t meet this quality but sell for way more.
- It could have a little more padding.
5. GTS Sport Sit-On-Top Kayak Seat
Here is how this kayak seat is described on Amazon: with its deep padded thermoformed foam panels this seat will self-conform to each kayaker to create customized cushioning without compromising necessary firmness. Here is what else you get:
It has an oversized cargo pack sewn onto its back.
It has solid brass clips attached for easy attachment. It is made out of a combination of heavy-duty 600 denier fabric, ultra soft and comfortable EVA foam (for the cushioning) and for maximum comfort, PVC plastic foam.
- It can be used in most kayaks.
- It is easy to use.
Although most people give it five stars there are some who feel that:
- It could do with more cushioning, especially for more extended kayaking.
- The material starts to flake after extended use in salt water.
6. Malibu Kayaks Spider Angler Seat
- It has a high back and very thick padding users can be in the water for hours without any discomfort.
- It has a rear bag as well as a bottle holder.
- It has dual built-in rod holders, tool holders, and a light navigation holder.
- You get D rings for gear attachment.
- It has safety reflectors for nighttime kayaking.
7. Skwoosh High Back Kayak Seat
This is also an excellent kayak seat. You get:
- It is reinforced with 2 battens for added comfort and strength.
- It has a waterproof fluidized gel seat and the cushion is thick.
- It is made out of heavy-duty fabrics.
- It could do with more padding.
What Should Look?
You may be wondering why you should spend extra money to buy the high back kayak seats. There are several reasons:
The first and most apparent is comfort you want to be able to be out on the water for long stretches of time.
A good seat saves you from fatigue.
Whether you are angling, racing or just relaxing you want to have proper back support.
A good seat is especially important if you will be racing as it allows you to grow faster.
Now that you know precisely why you should spend a bit more on a good kayak seat let us look at the qualities which you should be looking for.
We have already talked about this. Before you buy a kayak seat, you should sit on it and see how it feels. Is it sturdy enough, well padded, can it take your weight and so on. The point about weight is important they are designed to take people of different weights. You should make sure that whichever seat you choose can comfortably take your weight.
Kayaking is wet business, and you want to get a seat that has a resistant material. This way you don’t have to worry about sitting in a soggy seat. The material should also be long lasting but comfortable against your skin.
You may have the best kayak in the world, but if you don’t have a stable seat, you will only keep toppling into the water. Check to make sure that the seat you choose is as durable as possible. You should look online to see what others are saying about the stability of any particular brand you have in mind.
A kayak is a minimal space which means that there is no room for you to stash your things. The best seats allow for storage of personal items. You can stash away snacks, your phone (take it along only if it is waterproof!), a camera and so on. The more the storage, the better, but check to make sure that it doesn’t get in the way of your comfort.
To get to the water, it is quite likely that you have to drive not many people live that close to the water. Good kayaks can be strapped to a rack on top of your car and transported, but the seat may be a problem. You should shop for a seat that is foldable not only does it make it easy to carry, it is also easier to store.
We have already mentioned that you should spend a bit more to get kayak seat for bad backs in the market, but this doesn’t mean that you should throw away all caution. Some brands are unnecessarily expensive. You should pay a sensible amount for the right kind of kayak seat.
Kayak seats come in all shapes, designs, and colors so look for one that suits your style.
These are the top kayak seats in the market. You may get one or two complaints from very sensitive users, but they are otherwise excellent purchases.