There are few things nastier to clean than a clogged toilet with an unreliable plunger. Having a quality plunger may not be the highest on the list of must-haves, but when you are face to face with a clog, it could be the best purchase you ever make.
The materials and design of a plunger are very important in molding to the drain of your toilet. A good toilet plunger will give you a strong seal to do the job quickly and without a mess.
5 Best Toilet Plunger Reviews
1. Neiko 60100A Toilet Plunger
The Neiko features a heavy-duty design that will get at the clog in your toilet for a reasonable price.
Some features of the Neiko are below.
The cup on this toilet plunger is made with an industrial grade rubber cup that is designed with a “tiered” ridge along the bottom of the cup. I prefer this type of cup because it creates a stronger seal with the toilet drain.
A stronger seal means you will spend less time pushing to get the clog dislodged. This cup is also flexible enough to work with most sized toilets so if you decide to redo your bathroom, you won’t need to replace your plunger.
The handle of the Neiko is made with a strong aluminum that will hold up to a strong clog and the muscle necessary to get rid of it.
One of the nice things about aluminum is that it is rust and corrosion resistant if it gets wet often. It also won’t absorb bacteria and germs that come with contact with a toilet.
Easy to use
The design of this toilet plunger makes it easy to control while you are using it, as long as you have created a good seal.
The handle is sturdy and doesn’t feel like you are going to break it with too much force, so you can feel comfortable pushing it at any angle to get right in the toilet drain.
- Plunger is lightweight so it doesn’t require a lot of muscle to use effectively
- The material always stays in the same shape unlike some plungers which end up inverted after plunging
- There is no reservoir along the bottom of the plunger so water doesn’t pool which makes it easier to clean
- The aluminum handle prevents bacteria from sticking to the surface
- The rubber head of plunger has a bad chemical smell
- The handle can cause pain to your hand if you need to put some muscle behind your plunges
- Has a tendency to send water spraying from the toilet as a proper seal is not made
2. Korky 99-4A Performance Plunger
Some of the other features of the Korky are below.
Korky’s beehive accordion design will fit almost any toilet, new or old. The problem with unclogging a modern toilet is that the bowls are oblong and will only fit a narrow design plunger.
The Korky plunger was made for these toilets but the benefit is that it will still effectively create a seal in older style toilets.
I like the handle on the Korky because it is made with a heavy-duty plastic so bacteria and mold won’t stick to it and it is easily cleaned. It also won’t lose anything in appearance because of regular cleaning like aluminum handles can.
The T-shaped top of the handle gives a little more to hold onto when pushing into a clog and there is a hole in the handle that allows you to hook it up inside the bathroom cabinet.
The cup on Korky has no lip around the bottom so you won’t have to worry about dirty water collecting and causing a mess when you lift it. There is also very little chance of it becoming inverted and then having to reach in to fix it.
- Beehive design works with old and modern toilet bowls to create a great seal
- Rubber material is flexible enough to create a sturdy seal and also allow for a strong plunge
- Plastic handle is t-shaped to allow you to hang up the plunger after use
- Material on the plunger can become inverted and then you need to touch it with your hand to unstick it
- The design will not fit all toilets and collapses after moderate use
- If not properly sealed, the plunger will send dirty water splashing up while you are using it
3. Simplehuman Toilet Plunger and caddy
I would gladly display this unit in my bathroom.
Some other features of this toilet plunger are as follows.
The magnetic caddy that comes with this toilet plunger is by far my favorite feature. The magnets create a collar around the handle of the plunger so when you need to transport it from the toilet to the sink to clean it, there is no danger of water splashing onto the floor.
It is mess free and also hides the front of the plunger with a pleasing exterior for when guests are over. The back of the caddy is open so you can easily access the unit when you need it.
The handle of this plunger is stainless steel so it stays rust and corrosion resistant through all kinds of use in dirty toilet water.
The stainless steel is also tough so that when you are putting force behind the plunger you don’t feel like it is going to break off in your hands.
I like the stainless-steel rod because it also has a nice appearance to go with the rest of the plunger design.
The design of this toilet plunger is narrow and elongated to fit any modern toilet drain but also will create a seal with older toilets too.
This is a pretty handy feature to have if you have several different types of toilets in your home. Carrying this toilet plunger to another toilet without making a mess is also possible because of the caddy design.
- Magnetic caddy allows you to carry the plunger from the toilet to the sink without any dirty water hitting the ground
- The narrow design will fit most modern toilets and is easy to use
- The uniquely shaped handle makes plunging easier and not painful on the hands
- Rod is made of stainless steel, which will resist bacteria, mold, and rust
- Stainless steel handle has a tendency to rust after a few uses
- Handle design can make the plunger difficult to center on the drain
- Has a strong scent which can irritate sensitive noses
4. Rubber Toilet Plunger for Bathroom, Sink & Drain Clogs
Other features of the Rubber Toilet Plunger are as follows.
The handle of this toilet plunger is only 21’ tall, which makes this easier to store under cabinets or behind the toilet and out of sight.
The handle is also made with a durable plastic that is comfortable to use when pushing into a toilet drain. It is easy to clean and won’t collect mold, bacteria and germs associated with toilets.
I like the flexibility the cup of this plunger has to work with all of the drains in your home. The rubber will stretch out at the bottom so that it creates a strong seal in the toilet, but also changes into a regular sink cup.
The cup is made with soft rubber that can be molded to any surface easily.
You can use this toilet plunger to take care of clogs throughout the entire house because of the cup design and short handle. The cup will actually turn into a standard sink cup for the other drains that need some attention.
The handle is short enough at 21’ so that you can comfortably stand over the sink and get enough power to dislodge a tough clog.
- Cup design is versatile enough to use in all drains of the house
- Plastic handle is short enough to be stored under cabinets
- Material on handle is easily cleaned and doesn’t attract mold or bacteria
- Design of the rubber tends to get debris lodged in it and can only be cleaned by using your hands to stretch it out
- Short handle causes a lot of splash-back on the person using it
- There is a strong rubbery odor to the plunger that is not pleasant
- Handle is flimsy and doesn’t provide enough support for strong use
5. Kleen Freak Antibacterial Toilet Plunger with Holder
Other features of this toilet plunger are as follows.
The plastic material on the Kleen Freak holder tray kills germs associated with the bathroom and toilet.
This material will eliminate the worry of mold and bacteria spreading after you use it to get rid of a clog. The rubber on the cup also kills bacteria while it is cleaning your toilet bowl.
The cup is a lovely teal color and is made of flexible rubber that creates a strong seal in most toilets, new or old. I like the design because it doesn’t collect toilet water in a flap so you need to use your hand to clean it.
The storage tray that comes with this toilet plunger makes it easy to stand the plunger up after using it without causing water to get everywhere.
It also provides a cleaner option for taking the plunger from the toilet to the sink to wash it. The tray is sturdy and holds the plunger securely so it doesn’t fall and spray dirty water all over the bathroom floor.
- Antibacterial feature on toilet plunger means that it doesn’t spread germs after use
- Storage tray is convenient for storing the plunger after use without dripping water on the floor
- Handle is comfortable to use and sturdy enough to put some force behind plunging
- Design of cup creates strong seal around most toilet bowls
- Cup has a tendency to invert if pushed too hard into the toilet bowl
- Handle is not made with the strongest material and can break with use
- Plunger tray is not very attractive to have displayed in the washroom
How to Choose Best Toilet Plunger
There are three types of plungers available to dislodge a household clog.
- Cup plunger
These are not designed for toilets because they don’t create a good seal with the drain and won’t have enough strength to dislodge toilet debris.
Although some people do use this type of plunger for their toilets, these plungers are better suited for sinks and bathtubs.
- Accordion plungers
These plungers are named because of the accordion style rubber head that can be very effective in dislodging tough clogs in most toilets. The cups are small in design and create a nice seal over the drain of the toilet.
Industry reports state that the majority of new toilets that are being bought are low-flow toilets, which are narrower in the bowl. The accordion plungers are very effective for this type of toilet.
- Toilet plungers
These plungers look like cup plungers that have extra rubber on the bottom of the cup. These plungers consist of a flap forms a seal around the toilet drain and makes it easier to get the necessary force to unclog any toilet.
Most plungers will come with a plastic or aluminum handle to stop bacteria from sticking to the surface and spreading germs.
It is also important that the handle is lightweight enough to carry the plunger easily, but also strong enough to put some force behind it while getting at the nasty clogs.
The difference in the handles for most toilet plungers is in the shape and how comfortable it is to hold while plunging.
Some plungers will have a T-shaped handle while others will have a larger rounded handle. It is a personal preference on which you find the most comfortable.
With the popularity of low-flow modern toilets finding a toilet plunger that is narrow enough to fit the drain and create a good seal can be challenging.
Depending on how old and wide your toilet is, the design of the plunger can make a big difference in how strong a seal it makes with your toilet. A weak seal is ineffective at dislodging a touch clog and can also cause “splash-back” of dirty toilet water.
With all of that dirty water and debris that gets stuck to the bottom of a toilet plunger, having a tray to sit it in after the job is done is a definite plus.
Some plungers will come with trays that can easily be transported from the toilet to the sink, ensuring that there isn’t a dirty trail of water along the floor when it is moved.
Other Factors to Consideration
- Easy to use- while all plungers say they are easy to use, some can hurt your hands if you have put some force behind it
- Aesthetics – if your bathroom has no good place to store a toilet plunger, then the nicer it looks the better
- Price – some plungers can be pricey because of additional features like magnetic trays and aluminum handles
Clear Winner & Final Thoughts
The winner of the best toilet plunger is the simplehuman toilet plunger and caddy because of the attractive and effective design. The narrow, elongated design makes this effective at creating a seal with modern low-flow toilets that tend to be a littler smaller than older toilets.
The handle is made of high-quality stainless steel, which is unique to other plungers in this category and does the best job at eliminating corrosion and rust, especially with a tool that is constantly being used in water.
This toilet plunger has a very modern and attractive look which will add to the décor of your bathroom if you are at a premium for space.