A sprinkler head determines the distribution uniformity of the water you spray your lawn and as such, the quality of the vegetation in the yard or garden.
Despite the size of the garden you own, you will want to ensure high distribution uniformity since this has a direct impact on the quality of the grass on the lawn.
One of the factors that affect the efficiency of the uniformity of the water you spray on the lawn is the sprinkler head you get. A bad sprinkler head will result in a water wastage due to a leakage and thus higher water bills.
What’s more is that it can result in overwatering or underwatering of some portions, which may result in the damage of plants.
To avoid such situations, it is crucial that you take some time trying to get an ideal sprinkler head to use in your garden.
So, how do you determine if the sprinkler head you buy is the right one for your lawn considering the variety of them with different features?
I urge you to keep reading and find out how you can select the top sprinkler head among the variety of them on the market.
3 Top Sprinkler Heads 2019
10 Best Sprinkler Head Reviews
1. Hunter PGP Ultra Rotor Sprinkler Heads
This is one of the best hunter sprinkler heads to let you water a large portion of the lawn. It offers a full-circle adjustment so that you can adjust its water range from 50 to 360 degrees.
Hence, you can be sure that it will let you water a significant area at once when you use it. It comes as a pack of five hunter PGP ultra heads, with an adjustable arc, and a 2.5 nozzle.
More to that is an adjuster tool included in each of the five packs. This makes it easy to change the spray length and shape.
The heads have an improved dirty-water tolerance on the gear drive. These make them convenient to use since this helps in avoiding jamming due to a build-up of dirty water.
With this sprinkler head, you do not have to take a lot of time when it comes to setting up the sprinklers. The reason behind this is that each head comes with nozzles already installed on them.
What’s more is that the pack includes an instruction sheet to guide you through the whole setup process.
- 5 Hunter PGP ultra heads and a 2.5 nozzle
- An adjuster tool in each of the packs
- Dirty water tolerance on the internal gear
- Full circle adjustment up to 360 degrees
- Economical with water use
- Pops up high to water the lawn
- Easy to change the spray length and shape
- A complete package that is ready to use
- Adjustment of the spray angle isn’t easy.
2. Melnor XT Turbo Oscillating Sprinkler
Featuring smooth operating tabs, this sprinkler makes one of the best oscillating lawn sprinklers. These tabs control the length of the watering pattern from 10ft to 75 ft allowing you to water the lawn based on its size.
The tabs also help in controlling the pattern position to the center, left, or right so that you can water each portion based on its water needs. The sprinkler features an integrated control dial.
This allows a micro adjustment of the water to enable you to optimize your watering pattern. Hence, you can be sure never to waste any water in the driveway or sidewalk.
What’s more is a patented one-touch adjustment that controls the width of the watering pattern from 10ft to 53 ft. This helps you water a big portion of the garden.
With this sprinkler, you can be sure to get a maximum water coverage. Thanks to the large volume tube that fills with water when in use so that it can provide an even flow to the 18 nozzles on the sprinkler.
You can use the sprinkler with water on a high or low pressure due to the infinity turbo motor that helps in ensuring a smooth operation.
- Infinity turbo motor for a smooth operation in both high and low pressures
- Integrated flow control dial helps in the adjustment of the watering pattern
- Smooth operating tabs regulate the length of the watering pattern
- Large volume tube that fills with water helps to stabilize the sprinkler for maximum coverage
- Powerful and steady
- Operates quietly
- Covers a large area
- Comes with adjustments
- Easy to adjust
- Plastic construction
- Price is quite high
3. Toro 3-Inch Pop-Up Sprinkler Head
This is one of the best pop up sprinkler heads for use in a small lawn or shrub areas. It features a 3″ pop up height ideal for use in such areas.
What’s more is a pre-installed 15-foot variable arc nozzle to support adjustable patterns from 0 to 360 degrees. The sprinkler includes seals designed to prevent leakage and also keep dirt out.
Hence, you can be sure of minimal water wastage as well as a smooth flow of water. You can use the sprinkler head with any irrigation system brand without facing any challenges.
More to that, you can use several sprinklers per zone to enable you to cover a big area at a time.
- 3″ pop-up height ideal for use on short lawns
- Pre-installed 15-foot variable arc nozzle
- Seals designed to prevent leakage
- Ratcheting riser to fine tune the pattern
- Easy to install
- Includes seals to keep debris out
- Adjusts the pattern of watering easily
- Limited instructions
4. Rain Bird Rotor Heads 5000 Rotor Sprinkler Heads
This is a four-pack of rain bird 5000 rotor sprinkler heads. It features a 3/4″ inlet and already-installed nozzles on each head making it easy for you to set them up.
The sprinkler can cover a large area since it supports a 40-360 degree arc rotation as well as a reversing full circle rotation that covers a radius of 25 to 50 feet.
With it, adjusting the area to be covered is easy since its top-adjust arc requires only a flathead screwdriver to adjust.
The sprinkler includes a heavy-duty retract spring that assures a positive pop down.
- 3.0GPM pre-installed nozzle
- Top-adjust arc adjustment that only requires a flathead screwdriver
- 40-360 degree arc rotation
- A reversing full circle rotation
- 4 Rainbird 5000 rotor sprinkler heads
- Well built
- Reasonably priced
- Can be adjusted to a lot of ranges
- Provides a lot of water pressure
- The rotor is easy to install and adjust
- Poor packaging
5. Orbit 62100 Yard Enforcer Motion Activated Sprinkler
This garden sprinkler head doubles as a sprinkler and a pest deterrent as well. It is a motion sprinkler that combines water, motion, and sound to deter birds, dogs, deer, opossums, and other pests from the yard.
The sprinkler includes a 120 degree arc motion sensor with three different activation modes. These allow you to choose between the night only, day only, or always on activation modes to ensure that your garden is protected at all times.
With it, you can angle the sensor down so that it acts to deter small animals or angle it up for bigger animals. The sensor acts to detect intruders from 40 feet away while it has a viewing angle of 120 degrees.
This enables it to provide a 1600square feet coverage assuring you of having the whole or a big portion of the yard catered for. What’s more is that it includes an intelligent sensing technology.
This enables the unit to spray water and deter unwanted animals without water or energy wastages. As such, you can be sure to get an excellent water and battery conservation.
The sprinkler includes a 35foot adjustment setting. This allows you to customize the area it waters to that it only waters the place you want to irrigate.
Additionally, it comes with a 30-minute timed watering setting. This makes it a sprinkler that will provide you with the flexibility you need to ensure that your land is watered when you wish.
The unit gets its power from 4AA alkaline batteries, while it has over 7500 activation cycles to ensure that it can keep your garden and plants safe.
It features a heavy-duty construction with metal dual step spike and brass hose. Hence, you can be sure to make a good investment if you get one of these.
- Heavy duty construction with metal dual step spike and brass hose
- Deterrent sprinkler with day and night detection options
- A 120-degree arc motion sensor that detects intruders from 40 feet
- An intelligent sensor technology to help conserve water and energy
- 30-minutes time watering setting
- Well made
- Adjusts easily
- Easy to assemble
- Connectors don’t leak
- Waterproof battery compartment
- Heavy metal spike to get it into the ground
- You can set how the sprinkler shoots water
- Batteries don’t last long
6. Lawn Sprinkler – HIGH-PERFORMANCE Irrigation System for Green Garden – Adjustable Rotating Head
This sprinkler features an advanced ABS plastic construction that enables it to last for long. It is a lightweight sprinkler, but this does not affect its quality.
More to that, it features a sturdy base to enable it to remain in place through the whole watering process. You can use the sprinkler to cover up to 5800 square feet.
It includes adjustment collars that allow you to set the place to be irrigated from 25 to 360 degrees. What’s more is a grey ring button on the top that enables you to adjust the distance the water will cover from 26 to 32 feet.
Hence, you can be sure to irrigate your lawn effortlessly by getting one of these sprinklers. As one of the best lawn sprinkler types, the unit is easy to use.
The reason behind this is its user guide that gives you directions on how to control the water stream, head rotation, as well as the spray distance.
It also includes a diffuser screw that makes adjusting the water spray from a heavy stream to a fine mist easy.
You can use the sprinkler with an assurance of a minimal water wastage due to the wide range that enables you to customize the watering pattern to suit the shape and size of the yard.
- Circular lawn sprinkler covers up to 5800 square feet
- A sturdy ABS plastic construction
- Adjustment collar to set the place to be irrigated from 25 to 360 degrees.
- Ring button on the top to adjust the distance the water will cover from 26 to 32 feet.
- Easy to customize
- Easy to set up
- Detailed instructions
- Includes a variety of adjustments to water a variety of lawns
7. Rain Bird 25PJDAC Brass Impact Sprinkler
As one of the best sprinkler heads for water pressure, this is a heavy duty sprinkler that features brass, bronze, and stainless steel construction.
It assures you of lasting long and thereby providing you with the best value for money. The sprinkler is easy to adjust and supports a full 360degree or part circle 20 to 340 degrees pattern of watering.
As such, you can use it to water the smallest to the biggest lands. The sprinkler features a straight-through water flow design. As such, it delivers a superior dirty water performance.
Hence, you can get water from ponds, irrigation canals, or even use water with a high mineral content. It features a deflector flap that allows you to adjust the stream length from 20 to 41′ radius.
What’s more is a diffuser screw that breaks water into small droplets making the watering process uniform? With it, you can be sure to have minimal water wastage.
Thanks to the included water-saving die-cast PJTM spray arm control that prevents side splash onto the walkways and buildings.
More to that, it is easy to install to risers due to the included high gallonage output 1/2″ male pipe thread outlet connection.
- Covers up to 5200 square feet
- Water-saving die-cast PJTM spray arm control to prevent side splash of water
- High gallonage output 1/2″ male pipe thread outlet connection for an easy installation of risers.
- Diffuser screw that breaks water into small droplets
- Deflector flap that allows you to adjust the stream length from 20 to 41′ radius
- Sprinkler supports a full 360 degree or part circle 20 to 340 degrees pattern of watering.
- A heavy-duty sprinkler featuring brass, bronze, and stainless steel construction
- Offers a great coverage
- Limit clips stay put
- A lot of ways to adjust
- Zero instructions
- Clips are quite hard to remove for a 360-degrees coverage
8. Orbit 57253 3-Valve Heavy Duty Preassembled Manifold
This sprinkler is one of the different types of sprinkler heads that are easy to install. It is designed in a way that it helps eliminate guesswork and the mess that results from installing a sprinkler.
With it, you will never require tools or glue to fix. It only requires you to twist or tighten, and there you are ready to pump your water.
The unit is available in two or three valve models where each is built with Uv-resistant and durable high impact plastic. As such, this guarantees you of getting a sprinkler head that will last for years.
What more is that the sprinkler includes huge removable screw-on couplings?
These help to save a lot of time during repairs and installations. It works with poly pipe systems and PVC both 3/4″ and 1″ systems.
- Available in two or three valve models
- Built with Uv-resistant and durable high impact plastic
- Works with poly pipe systems and PVC both 3/4″ and 1″ systems
- Easy to install
- Solid construction
- It doesn’t leak
- Clear instruction manual
- Valves are easy to remove
9. Lawn Sprinkler, Automatic 360 Rotating Adjustable Garden Sprinkler
This sprinkler can cover up to 3400 square feet and a spray distance that ranges from 26 to 32.8 feet. What’s more is that it sprays at a water pressure of 80 PSI.
Therefore, this assures you of getting a sprinkler head to ensure that your garden gets a maximum water exposure. As one of the best sprinkler heads for lawn, it features a patented design geared to help you save water.
This allows you to adjust the water density, size, and scope. Hence, you can be sure of minimal water wastage by getting it to water the garden.
What’s more is that it features a durable construction meant to last you for long. It is made of high-quality ABS plastic and a rustproof polymer.
This ensures that you can use it for an extended time without needing to repair or replace it. You can use the sprinkler in a garden of any size due to the rotating spray nozzles that enable you to customize the area covered.
These allow you to set the watering angle at 90 degrees for a small lawn watering and 45 degrees for watering large areas.
The sprinkler is suitable for garden watering, lawn irrigation, and roof cooling. You can also set it as a summertime sprinkler for kid’s playtime.
- Patented design meant to help in saving water
- Ability to water the lawn up to 32.8 feet.
- Sprinkler covers 3600 Sq feet.
- Constructed with high-quality ABS plastic and a rust-proof polymer.
- Rotating spray nozzles allow customization to suit your watering needs
- Simple and easy to use
- Supports a 360 degree rotation
- Multi-adjustable arms for small and big lawns
- Doesn’t come with different size adapters
10. Orbit 55662 Voyager II Professional 4-Inch Adjustable Pop-Up Gear Drive Rotor Sprinkler Spray Head
Are you looking for the best lawn sprinkler heads for use in a medium-large and large lawn? If so, this is one of the sprinklers that you should consider getting.
It has a spray diameter of 40 to 80 feet making it suitable to provide enough coverage for large lawns.
The sprinkler coverage diameter is adjustable to allow you to customize its coverage based on the place you want to water.
More to that, its swing arch can be adjusted with the included adjustment tool to provide a swing of 40 to 360 degrees. With this sprinkler, you do not have to worry if you can only access dirty water to pump into your field.
The reason behind this is its removable and easy-to-clean filter that ensures a continuous flow of water.
More to that is an enclosed body design that helps keep dirt and debris out.
- Operates quietly
- Includes an adjustment key
- It is compatible with a variety of brands
- Easy to install and adjust
- Great quality
- Clear instructions
- Consistent spray
- Provides a great coverage
- Versatile with a variety of spray patterns
- It doesn’t water enough, close to the sprinkler.
Factors To Keep In Mind
When purchasing irrigation supplies, you will obviously want to get parts that will last for an extended period. After all, this is the only way to ensure that you can get the best value for money.
So, ensure that the sprinkler head you get can withstand the water pressure on your pipes without it getting off or breaking.
If you want to get one with a metal construction, ensure that it will not rust even when left outside.
On the other hand, if you decide to go with plastic, ensure that it is a strong ABS plastic and one that will not break when placed under extreme conditions.
2. The shape of the lawn
What’s the shape of the lawn to be watered? You should note that this determines the type of sprinkler head to buy.
You do not want to get a lot of water wastage from getting a sprinkler head that results in much water wastage by it having to splash water on the pathway or areas that do not need watering.
So, if you have a lawn that features sharp, curved edges, better opt for a spray type sprinkler or a small rotary nozzle.
These will help you in ensuring that you don’t get sprayed water in places where you do not want it to reach.
3. Type of the sprinkler head
There are lots of sprinkler heads on the market, and all work to meet different lawn needs. Here, you will need to decide between rotor vs spray sprinkler heads, pop up vs fixed, and hunter vs rainbird sprinkler models.
Spray sprinkler heads work to disperse water in a circular motion, and you can change their positioning when you want. These heads do not need a lot of pressure like the rotor type and work perfectly in smaller and fragmented areas.
On the other hand, rotors also disperse water in a circular motion but require a higher pressure compared to the spray type.
These are ideal for use on large lawns. When it comes to pop up sprinklers, these are ideal for a lawn with short grass. They are installed below the ground, and the head only emerges when the sprinkler is in use.
Hence, you will never see the head when inactive making it ideal for lawns where aesthetics come first, as well as lawns where kids play to avoid them from tripping.
Fixed sprinkler heads, on the other hand, are best for use in a lawn with shrubs. They are fixed above the ground on a riser so that they can provide water to high plants. They operate by producing a constant fan-shaped spray.
Each of the sprinkler heads reviewed above includes different features that make them worth your purchase.
I recommend Hunter PGP Ultra Rotor Sprinkler Heads for those who need hunter irrigation parts to use in big lawns. It allows you to adjust the spray pattern from 50 to 360 degrees, to enable you to cover a big portion of the land.
What’s more is that these heads come with already installed nozzles making the setup process quite easy.
Even better, the set is reasonably priced when the heads have an improved dirt-water tolerance making them suitable for use with dirty water as well.
More to that, I recommend Toro 3-Inch Pop-Up Sprinkler Head for persons who prefer a pop-up garden irrigation system.
Its spray patterns are adjustable from 0 to 360 degrees to allow you to customize the pattern based on your lawn needs.
These sprinklers include seals that prevent water wastage while keeping dirt out making them convenient for you to use.
You can use several of these in one area to allow you to cover a big zone. That said, I believe there is a perfect sprinkler head for each of you in this article.
Just be sure to determine the needs of your lawn and then find a sprinkler head that will suit your lawn needs.
Top Editor in TheDearLab. Traveler, Reader.