Can opener is one kitchen item that is not usually on the top of anyone’s list of priorities until you try to use a bad one.
If you have ever hurt your hand trying to twist a rusty handle or had your opener randomly open half of a can, then you can understand how important it is to have a decent quality tool to open your cans with.
The amount of money you spend on a can opener is no indication of the reliability, as some of the least expensive openers will last for years and work just as well every day.
- 10 Best Can Opener Reviews
- #1 Hamilton Beach (76606ZA) Smooth Touch Electric Automatic Can Opener
- #2 Kuhn Rikon Auto Safety Master Smooth Touch Can Opener
- #3 KitchenAid KC130OHAQA Classic Can Opener
- #4 OXO SteeL Can Opener
- #5. Zyliss Lock N’ Lift Can Opener
- #6. Hamilton Beach 76380Z Classic Chrome
- #7. Good Cook Classic Safe Cut
- #8. EZ-DUZ-IT 3028 Deluxe Can Opener
- #9. OXO Good Grips Smooth Edge Can Opener
- #10. BANGSHOU Manual Can Opener
- What Should Look?
- How to Use a Can Opener?
- Frequently Asked Questions (FAQS)
- Clear Winner & Final Thoughts
10 Best Can Opener Reviews
#1 Hamilton Beach (76606ZA) Smooth Touch Electric Automatic Can Opener
The Hamilton Beach 76606ZA Electric Automatic Can Opener delivers smooth cuts on lids. By doing this, it ensures that it does not leave any sharp edges that pose a risk to the user when opening. In fact, most users like that the blade of this unit is designed to cut along the edges of the can and not on top as it is with most of the competing models out there.
Additionally, since it works on both pop-top and regular cans, this can opener eliminates the risk that comes along with handling any sharp lids.
Easy to use
Unlike manual cans that require the user to apply some force when using, electric can openers operate automatically. And yes, being an electric version, opening the most stubborn tops is now a piece of cake.
The cutter features an easy-touch opening lever that makes it easy to open any lid with one hand. All you need to do is push down the lever slightly and the unit will get the job done regardless of whether you are opening a regular can or the pop-top cans.
Although most customers may not pay attention to this, getting a can opener that will complement your kitchen decor is necessary. This opener by Hamilton combines sleek chrome with a black design to ensure that it dovetails nearly any kitchen decor. Therefore, expect this unit to not only do the work right but also look great on your countertop.
- The build quality is pretty good.
- Using the opener is a no-brainer.
- The retractable cord is a plus.
- It has an attractive color and finishes.
- It comes at a pocket-friendly price.
- The instructions may not provide every detail that a first-timer may need.
#2 Kuhn Rikon Auto Safety Master Smooth Touch Can Opener
This super-handy can opener features a longer handle that gives the user an excellent grip for maximum controllability. The unit is simple to use as it looks- just position it at the top with the two circles aligned to the rim of your can, turn the knob clockwise, and that’s it!
The knob is soft and extra-large so that the user has the easiest time twisting it to cut the jar open. To know whether the lid has been cut entirely, you will feel less resistance when cutting to symbolize that the unit has been fully opened.
A blade is an essential part of the opener that plays a crucial role in defining the user experience. For easy cutting of your can, the blade of the can opener needs to be ultra-sharp. One of the amazing features about our hand-picked can is that it comes with a razor-sharp blade.
The blade cuts through your can with less effort as compared to a majority of options in the market. Also, most users found that the edge of this can opener stays longer for long. Hence, in case you need a unit that will deliver great performance for some good time, this tin opener will be a nice purchase for you.
When buying a can opener, ensure that it is hygienic to guarantee the cleanliness of your contents. Now, the Kuhn Rikon Auto Safety Master Smooth Touch Can Opener is among the hygienic models out there.
The opener is designed to ensure that it does not come into direct contact with your drink when opening. Therefore, you can enjoy your drink thereafter without the worry that it might have been contaminated in the opening process.
- It is ideal for those that have joint issues/ arthritis.
- It is a multi-purpose jar opener.
- It handles any can without problems.
- It leaves the lid’s edges completely smooth.
- The ultra-sharp blade remains sharper for longer.
- The lock mechanism may fail after some time.
#3 KitchenAid KC130OHAQA Classic Can Opener
No matter the kitchen product you are buying, you should ensure that it is built to stand the test of time. This unit adopts a stainless steel construction that can stand up to heavy daily use. I mean, in case you find yourself in need of opening cans more often, the KitchenAid KC130OHAQA Classic Can Opener will be a great purchase for you.
Actually, most customers claim that they may never have to buy another unit for the same job. The stainless steel construction also blends readily into the existing kitchen decor, making it a nice purchase for nearly any kitchen.
Our hand-picked unit comes with an Aqua Sky color that will appeal on any countertop. Nevertheless, you can also pick a different color from the other available seven options. No matter the color you choose, you will enjoy an ergonomic handle that gives you a nice relaxed grip. However, the price differs slightly with the color although they are all within an affordable range.
Easy to clean
Like any other kitchen tool, you should ensure that you keep your can opener in a tip-top condition. This unit is designed to allow for easy cleaning. To keep it clean, all it takes is warm water, mild detergent, and a little of your effort!
Just handwash the unit using mild water a mild detergent, rinse and dry- and that’s it; as easy as a five-finger exercise. In other words, in case you require a high-quality unit that is simple to maintain, this option should be a great acquisition for you!
- The blade is super-efficient.
- It feels comfortable in the hands.
- The handles are pretty long to accommodate hands of all sizes.
- It is very sturdy.
- There are wide varieties of colors available.
- It may take a couple of tries for it to grab the can edge correctly.
- It does not have a bottle opener.
#4 OXO SteeL Can Opener
One of the amazing features that this OXO Steel Can Opener boasts is the comfortable grip. The grips of this opener are designed to give the user a good user grip that grants the user maximum control over the unit.
Additionally, the cushioned handles absorb shock when opening a can to give you that smooth user experience you have been looking for. The cushioned handle also gives the user extra strength to tackle even the most stubborn cans easily.
Although the unit is designed to deliver smooth touchable lids, it also comes equipped with a lid catch. The magnetic lid catch lifts the unit off the can to prevent the lid from falling into the can without having to necessarily use your hands.
A window is positioned strategically at the top of the opener for easy alignment and to allow you to see the slicing progress. Therefore, you will be able to see when cutting is complete.
The blade of this can opener is of high-grade stainless steel. The premium blade handles the cutting work easily, to give you a user experience like no other when opening lids.
Unlike the majority of the competing models whose blades catch rust with time, the blade of this premium-grade kitchen tool is rust-resistant. I mean, expect the high-performing blade to maintain its beautiful look throughout the unit’s lifespan.
- The weight of the opener is good.
- The handles are great.
- The heavy-duty stainless steel blade maintains its sharpness.
- It is rust-resistant.
- The magnetic catch lid is a plus.
- It doesn’t grab the can perfectly.
- It does not clean up in the dishwasher which leaves hand washing as the only option.
#5. Zyliss Lock N’ Lift Can Opener
The Zyliss grip is contoured to your hand so it is comfortable to hold especially for older people who might be suffering from arthritis.
The knob is made with a slip-free plastic so you don’t feel like it is slipping through your grip while you are turning it. The blade goes on to the side of the can so it is not awkward to hold and you don’t need to hold the can while opening it.
The best manual can openers make it so you never feel as if you are struggling to get a can opener.
Easy to use
The blades are sharp enough to make opening the can smooth and easy. You won’t need to put too much force behind locking the blades because of how easy it is to grip the handles.
The Zyliss has a magnet that is strong enough to lift the lid once it has finished cutting so you never have to touch any part of the can. The release lever lets go of the lid so you can deposit in the garbage or recycling bin.
You will never need to touch any part of the can when you use the Zyliss can opener.
The lock will secure the can in place while you turn the knob to open it, the magnet on the lid will pop it off when it is finished, and the lever will release the lid when you want to throw it out. No food will touch any part of the mechanism.
- Stainless steel blades cut through cans easily so you don’t need to use excessive force
- The handle is large with a rubber grip, which makes it comfortable to hold
- The knob on the side of opener locks easily and turns smoothly for seamless operation
- The design of the magnet and lever eliminates the need for you to touch the lid
- The can opener has a locking mechanism that will work with any sized can
- The magnet is not very strong and won’t pick up lid easily so you end up touching it
- Will stop opening up cans completely after a few uses
#6. Hamilton Beach 76380Z Classic Chrome
There is no need for an ergonomic grip or comfortable handle on this can opener because no manual twisting or turning is involved.
All you need to do is lock the can in place and the can opener will do the rest. It will also shut off automatically when it is done so you know when the job has been completed.
Easy to wash
The cutting unit on this can opener can be completely removed and cleaned in the dishwasher. The material it is made with is rust-resistant so it won’t start t corrode after several washes.
If you have ever tried to manually wash a can opener blade and get parts of your cloth stuck or cut yourself, you will appreciate the dishwasher safe feature of the Hamilton Beach.
The ability to clean the unit quickly and easily is a definite must-have on the best electric can openers on the market.
The patented “SureCut” technology guarantees a smooth and easy cut every time. This design doesn’t just cut the can quickly, but cuts around just around the lip of the can so there are no dangerous sharp edges.
This can opener is also extra tall so it will work to open varying sizes of cans and heavy enough to stay secure while you are using it. The Arthritis Foundation recommends electric can openers as the best way for arthritis to open cans.
- Can opener is electric so you don’t need to manually turn a knob or hold a handle closed
- Comes with a knife sharpener on the back of the unit as an added bonus
- Automatic shut-off feature will stop the can opener when it is finished
- The cutting unit is dishwasher safe and can be completely removed from the top of the can opener
- Heavy-duty design means it will cut your cans thoroughly without having to use additional tools
- Magnet has a tendency to fall off if submerged in water
- Can opener cannot be transported because it requires electricity to work
#7. Good Cook Classic Safe Cut
The Good Cook will cut the can on the side so there are no sharp edges left that can pose a danger.
The design also eliminates the “cross-contamination” that can occur when the cutting mechanism of a can opener touches food. Your food will stay pristine while the magnet lifts the lid off cleanly and safely.
Easy to use
This can opener has very little in the way of moving parts. The chrome cutting mechanism just sits on top of the can and all you need to do is turn the knob. The blade is very sharp so no additional muscle is needed to open cans of all sizes.
There is only one handle to grasp, so no squeezing is involved, which makes this much easier for anyone with little hand strength or arthritis. When the can opener has finished the job, you can pull the lid off of the can for “hands-free” use.
The GoodCook is made with heavy-duty chrome that won’t rust or corrode. The blades are well-made and sharp to make cutting cans smooth and easy.
The handle and turning knob are made of a durable plastic that resists cracking or breaking with regular use. This material is also very easy to clean.
- Cuts the can from the side so there are no sharp edges
- The simple design means no squeezing of handles which is easier for those with little hand strength
- The plastic non-slip handle is easy to turn
- Heavy-duty chrome blades mean a smooth cut every time
- The strong plastic handle is durable and easy to clean
- Great price for the quality of the unit
- Has a tendency to start cutting and leaving metal shards that can fall into food
- Will stop cutting whole can after a while which makes you use less safe tools to finish the job
No products found.
#8. EZ-DUZ-IT 3028 Deluxe Can Opener
The design of the EZ-DUZ-IT makes it easy to use and cuts the cans on the side to eliminate sharp edges.
The combination of thick steel and rubber material means the opener will last a long time and consistently open your cans with ease and speed.
The cutting mechanism is “gear-driven” so you never have to use too much force when turning the knob on the side.
Comfortable to use
The rubber handle is non-slip so you never have to feel like you are going to lose your grip while cutting a can. This handle is designed to be easy to hold and lock into place so it doesn’t require any extra strength.
The materials this can opener is made with are the best feature of the EZ-DUZ-IT. The cutting and locking mechanism are both made of durable chrome steel that resists stains, rust, and corrosion.
The blade on this opener is guaranteed to open any size or shape can smoothly and consistently. The rubber on the grip is thick and designed to be slip-proof and comfortable.
It is unlikely that you will have to replace this can opener because of issues with the handle.
- Heavy-duty design means this can opener is built to last
- The chrome steel cutting mechanism will cut through and can easily and quickly
- The design of the handle makes it easy to hold while locking the opener in place
- The locking mechanism is strong enough to hold the can in place while opening
- This can opener runs on gears so it is much smoother to use when twisting the knob
- Best can opener for large cans
- Thick material makes this can opener heavier than others in this category
- This unit is not dishwasher safe so must be washed by hand after use
#9. OXO Good Grips Smooth Edge Can Opener
Easy to clean
Like most tools with sharp edges, the potential to cut your hand while cleaning or get pieces of cleaning stuck to blades is always a real concern with can openers.
The OXO can be popped into the dishwasher, eliminating the need to touch the blades at all.
The design of the can opener is simple enough that there won’t be any food particles or bacteria left over after the wash is done.
The OXO features a side-cutting mechanism that cuts the can without leaving sharp edges. The blade also never touches the food so no cross-contamination occurs while opening your cans.
The grip on the top of the opener will lift the lid off the can so you also never have to expose your food to germs that may be on your hands.
Comfortable to use
The ergonomic handle is comfortable to hold and open when locking the opener in place. The shape of the handle and rotating knob is designed to be easy to use for people with weak hands or arthritis.
The latch on the opener will grip onto the lid of the can and easily lift it so there is no struggle getting the lid off and throwing it out.
- The side cutter on the OXO cuts cans so they don’t have any sharp edges
- The handle is ergonomic and very comfortable to hold and use
- This unit is dishwasher safe so it is easier to clean
- Designed for hygienic use because cutting mechanism doesn’t touch food while cutting
- The clip at the top of the can opener will put the lid off of the can easily and quickly
- The clip doesn’t latch onto the can lid every time so you end up having to pry the lid off with another tool
- The blade will stop cutting the entire lid after washing the unit in the dishwasher a couple of times
#10. BANGSHOU Manual Can Opener
BANGSHOU is a nice looking and cheap can opener. It helps to open a can very easily clean cut with no sharp edges.
It is multifunctional 3-in-1 can opener.
It is made of pretty durable and smoothly opened up cans.
It works well with any size of cans like bottle cap or cans with a cover.
It has large turn knob with an ergonomic handle that gives very soft comfortable grip.
- Easy to Use
- Dishwasher Safe
- It doesn’t rusted
- Excellent quality
What Should Look?
There are several factors you will want to take into consideration when looking at the perfect can opener for your needs.
Electric or Manual
Usually, the decision on whether to get a manual can opener or an electric one is based on price and space. Electric openers are easier to use because they require very little squeezing or twisting and they also open the can faster.
You do need to keep it by an electrical outlet for it to work, however, and you can’t just put it in a drawer when you are done. Some manual can openers are very easy to use and the portability is a real plus if you need to use it in different places.
If you have ever tried to twist a defective can opener then you know how important it is that the unit be comfortable to use.
Especially for older people who may suffer from arthritis or weak hands, an ergonomically made can opener is a definite must.
Some openers feature double handles that squeeze the blade into a locking position while others have only one handle or no handles as in the case of an electric.
Cleaning your can opener regularly is very important to eliminate any bacteria that might be forming due to food particles sticking to the blade of surface.
Having a can opener that is dishwasher safe is a great feature because you won’t need to touch a sharp blade or get bits of cleaning cloth stuck to the mechanisms.
Most can openers today will be made with a combination of heavy-duty plastic and a rust-resistant metal like aluminum or stainless steel for the cutting unit.
The difference in materials usually comes with the grip where a rubber non-slip pad will help you grip the opener securely.
Other Thing to Consider
- Weight – this is not usually a big issue with good quality can openers because they lock to the can, but if you need to hold it up while using it, it can become cumbersome
How to Use a Can Opener?
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQS)
Is there a can opener that works?
If this is what you have been asking yourself, the answer is simply yes. We have both electric and manual openers that do the work perfectly when it comes to opening cans. In fact, if there were no working openers out there, we couldn’t have written this review at first.
What is the top-rated electric can opener?
Electric openers are normally easier to use as compared to the manual openers. In case you need an electric can opener, we highly recommend that you consider one of the provided selections from Hamilton. All these openers have a good customer reputation and possess nearly everything that most customers want in an electric opener.
How long does a can opener last?
What determines the durability of an opener is the quality of the blades. For durability, the blades need to sustain their sharpness for long. If you get a can opener with good blades, you will enjoy using it for several years to come. In fact, you may never have to buy another opener!
Which can opener doesn’t leave sharp edges?
Sharp edges pose a high risk to the user. Hence, as you buy a can opener, ensure that you get one that cuts cleanly when leaving smooth edges. Our select models deliver clean and smooth cuts without leaving any sharp edges on the can or lid.
How do you use an automatic can opener?
Handheld automatic can openers are very straightforward to use. To get the work done in no time, start by ensuring that the container is on a flat surface. Align the two discs with the lip of the can and then press down the can opener to begin cutting.
Clear Winner & Final Thoughts
The clear winner is the EZ-DUZ-IT 3028 Deluxe Can Opener because of the durability and efficiency. This can opener is simple in its design and the rubberized handles make it very comfortable to grip.
The handles are too large that someone with weak hands couldn’t get a good grip on it and also slip-proof so you are steady while locking it in place. It may be a little heavier, but the chrome steel design is worth the extra weight because of the quality and consistency of the cut.
The EZ-DUZ-IT is not dishwasher safe so it will need to be washed by hand, but I actually find that to be a plus because the dishwasher doesn’t always do a thorough job of eliminating bacteria.